14 April 2015

VEDA Day 11 - Happy Ratties

Hello there happy little people,

So todays video was quite a short video just as I haven't had much time to film anything more exciting today. It is a video of me cleaning my ratties. Whiiiiccch I know could be very boring to some people but like I said, it was all I had time to film.



Because I haven't got very much to say I'm just gonna talk about my ratties :)

The first rattie I'm gonna talk about is Luna. Luna means moon in Latin. I chose that name because of her white fur which is like the moon, because you can always see her exploring her cage and the fact that rats are (generally) nocturnal so come out at night. Also, I'm a fan of Harry Potter and Luna is one of my favourite characters. She is an albino fancy rat which mean shes has pale white/grey markings and red eyes. Which most people would be afraid of but I actually find albino animals super adorable. I have in the past also had an albino gerbil and an albino guinea pig. Anyway, she will be around 3ish this year and we have had her around 2 years which seems literally like yesterday. Unfortunately, she is a Pets at Home rattie so she has no rescue sorry but I would always advise rescuing your pets rather than buying them. She is quite a character to say the least. She is not afraid of anything and will defend her territory like no other. I guess she is the more courageous of the two.  She has given me a number of not so nice bites over the years but she is still the most adorable rattie. She loves to explore and jump around the cage checking everything out. And she is most definitely the boss rat.


My second rattie is called Nox. Nox means night in Latin. I chose that name as she is the darker of the two, she hides a lot more often and the fact that, again, rats are nocturnal. And again, there is a spell in Harry Potter called Nox. She is quite a shy rattie but will come out if treats are nearby. She is a brown fancy rat with little white paws and a white belly. She is so much more gentle compared to Luna and has only ever nipped me once. She takes treats so carefully and cautiously compared to Luna who just grabs them, hides them and then comes back for more. I have always loved the more natural looking pets so when I was planning on getting rats I knew my perfect rats would be one albino and one natural "brown rat". And one day when I went into Pets at Home they had these two lovely little ladies and it wasn't just a spur of the moment decision because I had been thinking about it for quite some time but when I saw these two I couldn't help but fall for them and have to take them home :)


They actually had a series of names for a while before finally deciding on Nox and Luna. Lunas original names were Elmo, Magenta and Mischief. Nox was originally Cookie, Columbia and Rascal. Elmo and Cookie were because me and my best friend call each other those names as insipred by Elmo and the Cookie monster. I was the cookie monster and she was Elmo. Magenta and Columbia was because at the time of getting my ratties I had just discovered the wonder that is The Rocky Horror Picture Show and was (and still am) obsessed with it. However, I didn't quite feel that the names fitted my dainty little ratties so looked around for ideas when one night I was watching Harry Potter and the names fitted my ratties perfectly so that was that. 

I love my rats and I know a lot of people hate their tails or are afraid of them but I think they are the cutest little things and I could honestly watch them explore their cage for hours. I would love to know if any of you guys have pets so feel free to comment below.

I hope you are all having a fabulous day,

Hev xx 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRsSHv-yKsg

No comments:

Post a Comment